Wednesday, January 4, 2017

TBR Jar Challenge 2017!



As I mentioned in my 2017 Goals post earlier in December, I've been very interested in creating my own TBR Jar challenge for 2017. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of the TBR Jar Challenge, you create 12 different challenges related to books on your TBR, and then each month you select a challenge at random from a jar to complete. I believe Katytastic on YouTube started this in 2015, and you can see the video in which she introduces it here.

I actually did get around to making a TBR Jar for myself, so in this post I'll just sort of walk you through what I did?

Step 1: Obtain a jar (or mug or cup or bowl or whatever works best for you)


Target had Mason jars on sale in their dollar section, so a picked a couple up, but you could certainly use any mug or cup you have laying around.

Step 2: Gather your others supplies

 

While I just needed a silver sharpie and some cardstock, some people I've seen have a lot of fun decorating their jar's exterior with things like paint pens and washi tape, so you do you!

Step 3: Decide on challenges


After a long google session, I was able to come up with 12 challenge ideas that'll work best for me. They are as follows:

  • Read a book with 500+ pages
  • Read a "new to me" author 
  • Read a 2017 release
  • Read a classic (ahhh scary- and no, school books don't count.) 
  • Read a book with a number or color in the title
  • Read a book with a one word title
  • Read a book with a blue cover
  • Read a book "everyone" but you has read
  • Read a book by a male author
  • Read a book by a female author
  • Read a book with less than 300 pages
  • Read a sequel 
Those are the challenges I selected, but I'd make sure you create challenges that'll suit you as a reader, while still prompting you to read things you might not normally gravitate towards. 

And once you've selected your challenges, write them out on slips of paper. I used pastel cardstock because #aesthetic, but the thick paper is a little challenging when it comes to folding and stuffing inside of the jar. (Although it does a nice job of preventing me from seeing through the other side.) 

Step 4: Put the slips of paper inside the jar (plot twist ikr) 


And now you've got your TBR Jar! And it's January, so you can go ahead and select your first challenge. Mine was to read a book with a one word title, and I chose Truthwitch by Susan Dennard. (Which ended up being a good thing because book two comes out on the 10th!) 

Let me know if you've ever wanted to do a TBR jar, or if you 've done one before. I hope you join me this year with this super fun challenge! (Here's to a great 2017.) 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!